The #bookaday challenge

Almost three weeks ago, Donalyn Millar, author of The Book Whisper, teacher, blogger and Twitter participant (@donalynbooks) posted a challenge on her blog about reading a book each day over summer holidays.  Now, at first, I thought that this would be impossible for me.  There was no possible way that I could read an entire book every day for two months!  I am too slow a reader!  But then, I kept reading and got thinking…  Donalyn suggests setting your own goal, incorporating all levels of reading, and adapting as necessary.  So, I decided to set my own goal:

1. Read one grade 3 level book each day over summer vacation, one day in French, one day in English.

2.  Read 3-4 adult reads over the summer.

This seemed like quite a reasonable and achievable goal.  I started holidays on Tuesday, June 27th.  Here is my reading so far:

Tuesday, June 29 – Un chien à roulettes by Janeen Brian, 56 pages

chien

Wednesday, June 30- The Case of Hermie the Missing Hamster by James Preller, 80 pages

hermie

Thursday, July 1 – Follet le furet by Penny Matthews, 56 pages

follet-le-furet

Friday, July 2nd – ADULT READ – Deadly Appearances by Gail Bowen, 280 pages

deadly

Saturday, July 3rd – Le gang des petits-suisses by Gérard Moncomble, 23 pages

gang

I just hope that I can meet my goal!  I am proud of the reading I have done so far!  What are you reading this summer?

6 thoughts on “The #bookaday challenge

1. Great goals! It’s awesome that you found a way to adapt a reading challenge to fit your needs. And I’m super jealous of your ability to read in one language one day, another the next… I dream of being able to do that!

2. Love it. I plan to do a lot of reading this summer myself. I left all of my français books in my classroom and don’t intend on returning to school until August – but let me know of any books you particularly love.

Two years ago, I ordered a 12 back of the “Petit Roman” books (ie. Follet le Furet) and the kids love them – especially at the beginning of grade 3.

Have you read any novels out loud to your class – and if so, which ones? I tend to stick to my favourite picture books for my minilessons/reading strategy lessons…. but looking for worthwhile ones to read together – as stamina etc.

3. I’m participating in the Bookaday Challenge, too. I’ve been trying to mix it up, and I’ve discovered that I love verse novels! Who knew?
    Happy Reading!

4. Hi Lindsay. I left all my books at school too. I just went to the public library to pick up the books.

5. What a great idea! I set a similar goal for myself last summer. I wanted to read a book from every grade level each day of the week so that I would have a better idea of what my students were reading and could carry on meaningful conversations with them about books they have read and offer suggestions of books they might enjoy